Sunday, September 16, 2012

Charlie being carried by big, lovable Henry Bergman, c. 1918

Bergman, whose career began as an operatic tenor, joined Chaplin’s stock company in 1916. He remained with him, as an actor and assistant, until his death in 1946 (his final film appearance was in Modern Times, 1936).
In the 1920s, he opened a popular Hollywood restaurant called Henry’s (possibly financed, or co-financed, by Chaplin). Henry would often go from table to table talking with customers, with his ever-present cigar dangling from his mouth. Charlie, who was fascinated by the success of the restaurant, was a regular customer. His favorite dishes were the lentil soup and coleslaw.
Henry's, c. 1928

No comments:

Post a Comment